100 Radcliffe Students Will Be Canvassed In U.S. Government Study of College Costs

One hundred "typical" Radcliffe girls are participating in a Government-sponsored survey to find out whether present college costs are prohibitive for low-income groups. The U.S. Office of Higher Education will sample expenses of about 200,000 students in 100 colleges to find out the amount of college costs.

It is feared that many "potential leaders" from low-income families miss college training because of present high costs.

Radcliffe was chosen as representative of its type of college for the survey, which sampled teachers colleges, vocational schools, and other types of higher education institutions.

Girls were picked by lot to take part in the survey in order to get a representative group.

Travel, entertainment, food and all personal expenses will be correlated, in the survey, with tuition costs and family incomes. The survey is particularly interested in the difference in money spent according to various income groups.

To be published sometime next fall, the survey will "serve as a guide to colleges in setting fees and making long-range plans," according to a U.S. Education bulletin announcement.

It is hoped that the Radcliffe participants will complete their questionnaires before leaving Cambridge.