Penn Trips Nine; Tiger Test Called

Penn moved into the Eastern Baseball League lead with a 10 to 7 victory over the erratic varsity nine Friday at Philadelphia. The scheduled varsity game at Princeton, Saturday, was rained out.

The loss ended a five-game Crimson win streak, and gives the team a two-win one-loss league record. Penn, which edged Cornell Saturday, now leads the circuit with a 4-0 mark.

Errors made the difference. The Quakers scored seven runs, none earned, in the fifth inning, on only three hits and five errors. Ed Krinsky committeed three of these, and Tim Wise, two. The varsity made nine errors in the game.

Ward Relieves Groper

Bob Ward took over for Crimson starter Earle Groper in the fifth and retired the side, allowing only one run on an error.

The Crimson rallied in the seventh, however, when Penn starter Karl Hey moved to the outfield. The nine pounded his reliever, Larry Masters, for one run in the seventh, and five in the eights before Hey returned to save his own game.

Russ Johnson drove in two of the varsity's runs with a single, and Dick Scheer collected two hits.