Watson Will Investigate Movie Groups' Conduct

Liberal Union Accused Of Breaking Contract With Film Distributor

A shakeup of undergraduate film organizations appeared imminent last night as Dean Watson announced he would investigate the "undignified" conduct of the film groups in the College.

Watson yesterday discussed the matter with Ivy Films and today will ask the United Nations Council and the Liberal Union for "good reasons why they should continue to show films."

Samuel A. Olevson '54, past president and now membership chairman of the UN Council, said that he had an eight or nine page brief to present to Watson. This brief, he claimed, would inform the dean of the Council's value to college extra-curricular activities. Cutting off the livelihood of the group would "eventually cause Harvard University to be the loser. Essentially, there is no difference between presenting football games commercially and showing films for a profit."

HLU Breach of Contract

Further complications in film showings developed last week when the HLU secured for the UN Council the RKO film "Make Mine Music." The HLU secured the movie through a film location agreement with RKO, which specified the Liberal Union as the only organization to show RKO films at the college. RKO announced yesterday that although the film was given to another group without remuneration for HLU, it was a breach of agreement. The UN Council had also planned to show the RKO film "The Outlaw" later this month with an identical agreement with the HLU.

Advocate Enters Business

On Friday, the Advocate said it was entering the film business and would show "Emperor Jones," starring Paul Robeson. J. C. Peter Richardson '56, film director of both the UN Council and the Advocate, said that the Advocate was badly in need of funds. "Emperor Jones," because of its controversial nature, "has an excellent chance for financial success," Richardson said.

The UN Council, which had previously intended to show the film, decided against the plan because of its "political implications" and the unavailability of a suitable date, obtained the film for the Advocate which had previously booked a date on which the film could be leased. The UN Council will receive a share of the Advocate's profits in repayment for "technical services."