Crimson to Play MIT Nine; Smith May Return to Lineup

Rain forced the varsity baseball team to retreat to Briggs Cage for practice yesterday, but Coach Stuffy McInnis said he expects a good game when the Crimson meets M.I.T. on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3:45.

The game may mark Bob Smith's return to the Crimson lineup. Smith, veteran centerfielder, has been sidelined all season with a leg injury. "He'll play if his log is all right," McInnis said, "but we don't want him to get hurt more seriously."

If he does play, Smith will bat in the lead-off position and return to his old centerfield spot, and Dick Scheer will move to left and bat fifth. If not, Scheer will remain lead-off batter and center-fielder, and Bob Gremp will bat fifth, playing left.

Pitcher, Catcher Unnamed

McInnis is undecided about his starting battery. Either John Arnold or Bob Ward will start on the mound, and sophomore George McDonald may take over catching chores for regular backstop Dick Clasby.

The regular infield again should start. Captain Russ Johnson will play first, Walt Greeley second, Ed Krinsky short-stop, and Tim Wise third. Don Butters will fill the rightfield post.

Roy Merritt's M.I.T. nine has been sparked by Captain Ronnie Thompson, letterman shortstop to a 2-0 Metropolitan League record. Other probable starters are Ben Sack at first, Dick Morgenstern at second, Bob Lait at third, and Paul Valerio behind the plate.

John Winkfield, Hiller Henderson, and Johnny White should start in the outfield. No starting pitcher has been announced.

After dropping its first Eastern League game last Friday, to Penn, 10 to 7, the Crimson holds a two-win one-loss E.I.B.L. record. The varsity's season mark is four and four.

Coach Adolph Samborski's Yardlings will travel to Hanover this afternoon to play the Dartmouth freshmen.

The baseball team was leading the Eastern League before a disastrous trip to Penn, where the Quakers took full advantage of the Crimson's mental and fielding lapses to defeat McInnis' team.