The Pirates of Penzance

The Playgoer

On a puny stage with poor lighting, the Student Fellowship of the Congregational-Presbyterian Church is giving a smash-bang performance of The Pirates of Penzance. Barry Morley, in the lead, has a fine voice that, if not overly dramatic, is always well controlled. His sense of comie timing and fast pace complete an excellent job.

Unfortunately-and this is the show's one flaw-Morley doubles as director, and can not keep the total level of the cast at the peak that is possible. Even he would be better with objective direction, responding to the other actors and giving more vitality got his singing. And certainly Edward Stearns, as the Priate King, would improve. Although his deep and pleasant voice conies across the footlights with force and clarity, he is at times wooden in his acting, as though self-conscious. Luckily, he often shakes off his frozen, arms-akimbo stance and really enlivens his fine role.

Donise Mangravite, in the role of Mabel, needs nothing but slightly stronger volume to make her perfect as a Gilbert and Sullivan heroine. With a clear, lilting voice she toys with the satiric words and music, never dragging, and always aware of her position as an actress. Elizabeth Kalkhuret, in the smaller role of Ruth, also is quite Savoyard, and gives, perhaps, the most consistent performance. Always on top of her role, she constantly strives for mannerisms characteristic of the middle-aged woman she plays.

Both male and female choruses are uniformly excellent in their singing. Actually, only their slight confusion as to proper methods of chorus acting keep them from looking, as well as sounding, professional. The standout exceptions are Kent Neilson and Hugh Moffet who maintain expression and vitality all the way through. Gerry Caruthers, also keeps plugging, and a fine make up job has him looking like the most comic pirate since the days of the elder D'Oyly Carte. Among the girls, Phyllis Bodel wins chorus honors with her pert and enthusiastic performance.

In the minor role of police sergeant, William Cowperthwaite mugs a bit too much, and can not maintain his expression all the time. But his mugging is often funny, and not long enough to be boring. Choreographer Mary Arnold has conceived many fine routines and settings to cap a truly delightful show. Robert J. Schoenberg