Track Team Faces Yale Saturday in New Haven

Crimson Counts on Rittenburg

For the third straight year the varsity track team will be rated an underdog when it meets powerful Yale in New Haven tomorrow. The freshmen face the Bine yearlings, and both meets start at 1:30 p.m.

The last two times the Crimson was better than the paper ratings and upset the Yalies. But this season, the only hopefuls are the runners themselves. Yale in good and its times have been better than the varsity's all season.

Bill McCurdy's team has been picking up points all season by scoring heavily in the short distances and the hurdles. Up to this meet no one has challenged Bob Twitchell and Pete Dew. But Yale has Hank Thresher, sophomore sprinter who has overcome polio to run the 100 in 9.9 and the 220 in 21.6 this season. He is backed by Larry Reno, another sophomore.

Reno Tough

Reno was a heavy favorite in last year's freshman hurdles. His times were better than the Crimson's Bob Rittenburg, but Rittenburg beat him that day, and won three other events. Rittenburg also took two firsts in the Harvard-Yale-Princeton triangular meet this winter.

The Crimson also needs to take the 440 and the mile relay. Alan Howe will have to do his best running of the year to beat Eli Ross Price in the Quarter. Price did 49.1 as Yale was upset by Princeton last week.

Bill Donegan and the Crimson's Bob Mello will right it out in the Pole vault. Sophomore Donegan has been topping Mello's best all season.

The Crimsons, however, should take the freshman race. Al Wilson's team beat the Elis indoors, and with Norm Bruck a probable double winner, should have little trouble tomorrows.