Selection Ends Broad Search

This morning's action by the Corporation culminates at least four and a half months of search and deliberation by the University's six-man governing board since President Conant's resignation on January 12.

In all probability the Corporation had been thinking about a successor long before January, but exactly how long is unknown.

Although the election of the president must be ratified by the Board of Overseers, the burden of selection falls almost entirely on the Corporation. The Overseers' function is restricted to voting the Corporation power to elect the president and then of ratifying the choice.

In its search for a new president, the Corporation has held bi-weekly Monday meetings here since January in addition to a number of special conclaves. In these meetings they interviewed prospective choices and considered names submitted to them.

Overseers Met Monthly

Each Corporation member also was responsible for doing individual investigation and research between meetings.

Since January the 30-man Board of Overseers has held monthly Monday meetings here. Today's Overseers meeting was an unscheduled one.

The procedure for today probably followed pretty closely the traditional formula laid down in University By-laws.

The traditional procedure calls for the Corporation to meet in Massachusetts Hall while the Overseers are holding their meeting in University Hall.

The Overseers open their meeting by voting to give the Corporation power to elect the next president. The message of this vote is taken across the Yard to Massachusetts Hall. The Secretary of the Corporation--David W. Bailey '21--then carries back to the Overseers the name of the Corporation's selection.