Illinois Will Pass New Broyles Bill

The new governor of Illinois will sign the loyalty oath and investigation bills Adlai E. Stevenson vetoed. Gov. Monte Straton, Republican, has indicated that when the two bills of Senator Paul Broyles come to his desk, as they seem certain to do, he will sign them into law.

The bills provide for a special assistant attorney general to investigate subversive activities and also include provisions for test oaths from all civil employees of the state, including teachers.

Stevenson had claimed the bills were "reluctant." Present Illinois laws, he said "are sufficient, and only need right enforcement. We must not burn down the house to kill the rats.

The twin bills received favorable consideration in committee in March. At a public hearing on March 17, eight persons testified for the measures, and thirteen against. Nineteen others had come to oppose the bill, but the committee decided not to give them a hearing.

Stevenson had criticized the proposed work of the special assistant to the Attorney-General, who is supposed to keep special records on state employees and find "reasonable doubt" as to their loyalty. Such activity, he said, might "lead to grave peril to the reputations of innocent people."