G. Wright Briggs Named New Conductor of Band

Succeeds Mal Holmes, Who Died Last June; Now on WBZ Staff

The Harvard band has chosen G. Wright Briggs, Jr. '31 as its new conductor to replace the late beloved Malcolm H. Holmes '28, the CRIMSON learned last night.

Although the Band has not officially revealed Briggs' appointment, it is known that he will be presented the symbolic ivory baton by student manager Peter Strauss '54 at a special ceremony at 7 p.m. tonight in Sanders Theatre.

Now musical director of WBZ radio and TV, he may currently be seen and heard on several programs. Since 1935 when he joined the WBZ staff, he has held various jobs including staff planist, organist, and music librarian.

In addition, Briggs is also supervisor of the Department of Music at the New England Conservatory of Music. Appointed to the faculty there in 1942 and made supervisor in 1948, he now teaches several course in his own department as well as basic instrumentation in the Department of Music Education.

Former Bandsman

Saturday will mark Briggs' first appearance with the band since his college days, when he played first clarinet for five seasons and was concert master for two years. A versatile artist, he plays the piano, organ and saxophone as well as the clarinet and is best known today for his piano work, both as a concert master and accompaniest.

Briggs got his 1931 A.B. here in Romance Languages and took an M.A. in 1935, this time in Music. He also spent one year in the Business School. While a student he traveled in Europe extensively and appeared on the concert stage in Denmark and Sweden. He gained his professional experience with Mayor Davis, Jacques Ronard and Rudy Vallee.

In the past few years, Briggs has done considerable arranging, scoring and composing for Broadway musicals and individuals. He arranged the "Harvard at the Pops" program for Arthur Fiedler.

Strauss last night announced that this year's band is the largest in the organization, with a total membership of 168. This tops last year's previous high of 161.