1954 Draft May Not Affect Graduate School Enrollment

University's Outlook Brighter Than Grad Schools Elsewhere

University Graduate Schools expressed satisfaction with the present draft situation yesterday, and unlike other schools throughout the country, they expect a general increase in enrollment next year.

A report published in Sunday's New York Times said that American educational leaders are greatly concerned at the "sharp drop" in graduate enrollment throughout the nation.

The Times' study also said that the educators are worried about the "trend" of draft boards toward drafting graduate students.

Increase in GBAB Applications

Francis M. Rogers, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, said that there has been a large increase in the number of applications for next year. The school as received 301 applications, 61 more than it had taken in at the same time a year ago.

However, he revealed that seven students have been forced to withdraw from the school this year because of military reasons, a slight rise ever last year's total. Rogers said that this is not a disturbing number, and be is not alarmed by it.

Harrison S. Dimmitt, Secretary of the Faculty of Law, said that nine students have withdrawn from the Law School because of the draft, but this is the same number that had left at this time last year. The admissions office said it sees no drop in applications for next fall.

No Med School Withdrawals

The Medical School said that it know of no student who had been called away, and also did not foresee a drop in enrollment.

Samuel H. Donnell '37, Assistant Dean of the Graduate School of Business Administration, said that the Business School is running well ahead on applications for next year. He did predict, however, that for the first time some men will have to withdraw because of pressure from draft boards.

The Secretary of the School of Public Health, Mrs. Margaret G. Barnaby, said that since most of the school's students had already served in the armed forces, the school is hardly affected by the draft.

Because most of its students are women, the Graduate School of Education said it is not worried about the draft.