Furry to Testify Before McCarthy, TV on Friday

Senator Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis.) said last night that he will question Wendell H. Furry, associate professor of Physics, about alleged Communist activities is open sessions in Boston tomorrow and Saturday.

WBZ-TV announced that it would televise McCarthy's hearing each day from 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon.

McCarthy, who will also question Boston workers concerning possible Communist infiltration into defense plants, will hold closed sessions in the afternoon. Declining to say which industrial plants will be investigated, McCarthy named only one man whom he will definitely quiz-Furry.

McCarthy's visit comes after November's hearing with Furry in which the 47-year-old Physics teacher refused to tell a closed session whether he had ever given secret radar data to the Communists. Following the hearing, in which Furry freely invoked protection under the Fifth Amendment, the associate professor's lawyer, Osmond K. Fraenkel '08, said, "Professor Furry made it quite clear that he had never taken part in any act of espionage."

five days later, following a flurry of communications between President Pusey and McCarthy, the Senator announced that he would initiate contempt of court proceedings against Furry. At that time McCarthy claimed that Furry. At that time McCarthy claimed that Furry would be called before a television audience early in December.

But McCarthy has done nothing with the proposed contempt case and postponed the hearings.

After Furry had refused to answer certain questions before the House Un American Activities Committee in February, 1953, the Corporation found him guilty of "grave misconduct" and placed him on probation for three years. But the Corporation, which reserved the right to fire Furry, kept him on the faculty "because there is a very different climate of political opinion" now than in the period from 1938 to 1947 when furry was admittedly a member of the Communist party.

According to McCarthy, in November Furry refused to say whether he had turned over secret material to the Communists while working at M.I.T. during World War II.