Student Dead From Cranial Bullet Wound

Joseph E. Bacigalupo '55 died in Faulkner Hospital yesterday of a self-inflicted bullet wound in the right temple.

Bacigalupo, a commuter from 50 Lida Road, Jamaica Plain, was declared by Associate Medical Examiner George W. Curtis to have committed "suicide while temporarily deranged."

The student, a biology major, was found in his room unconscious Tuesday by his father. A once-fired revolver lay next to him. An ambulance from the Jamaica Plain station rushed him to the hospital, where doctors made a vain effort to save his life. Bacigalupo died at 9:10 A.M.

Above-Average Student

Charles P. Whitlock, Allston Burr Senior Tutor for Dudley, said yesterday that Bacigalupo was friendly, and was an above average student.

Bacigalupo, one of the top graduates from Boston Latin School in 1951, was described by the school's principal, George L. McKim, as a "splendid student, outstanding in his high school class." He said that Bacigalupo was also a very "likeable" boy.

"I was terribly shocked," McKim said. "Some students are good in the social sciences, some in the humanities, and some in the sciences, but Joseph was good in anything he did."

Gun Belonged to Youth

Because of his condition, police were unable to question Bacigalupo about the shooting. They revealed last night that the suicide weapon was the youth's own.

His father, Edward P. Bacigalupo, is a prominent local politician.