A Simple Solution To the Main Problem

Sometimes a university gets so big its various departments lose contact with each other. Take the Department of Buildings and Grounds here. It's run from Massachusetts Hall, the Administrative Vice-President s office. After years of trying to pay the maids a decent wage, and still keep room rents at a level students could afford, it has thrown up its hands and decided to throw out the maids.

So involved has it been with its own problems that it did not know the Administrative Board, right across the Yard in University Hall, has the perfect solution. There is a tremendous reservoir of potential free maid service in institutions around Boston. At Radcliffe Wellesley, Simmons, and countless other colleges, there are literally hundreds of young maids who would not only profit from the experience of tidying room's but could be easily contacted by the students themselves, and with no fuss about Personnel offices and that sort of thins.

If the Administrative Board were to extend parictal rules from ten a.m. to one p.m., (the usual hours the maids work), it would pull the cork that would send this free help pouring into the Houses. The new maids would of course bring their own brooms, mops and soap.

Everyone would gain from such an arrangement. The Administration could offer prospective students relief from household chores, and at the same time reduce its operating budget. The new maids would be storing away valuable experience for the day when they must cater to the domestic habits of their husbands. An the students would not complain as long as their room were kept clean.

Thus could a little coordination and imagination solve a serious problem at the University.