Furry, Kamin Set to Testify For McCarthy

Wendell H. Furry, associate professor of Physics, and Leon J. Kamin '49, research fellow in Social Relations, are expected to testify at Senator Joseph R. McCarthy's Permanent Senate Investigating Committee hearings, which start at 10:30 this morning.

The hearings will be televised nationally by station WBZ-TV from Courtroom 3 on the 12th floor of the Federal Building in Boston. The hearings will last until 12 noon and well be open to the public, of which approximately 200 spectators are expected to be present.

Kamin, who invoked the Fifth Amendment before the Jenne Subcommittee last April, will be asked to testify further on his alleged Communist affiliations during the late 1940's.

Corporation Acts on Kamin

The Corporation had found Kamin guilty of "misconduct" in his refusal to testify to the committee, but had refused to dismiss him on the grounds that only "grave misconduct" warranted dismissal.

However, he was relieved of his post as a teaching fellow in Social Relations and given a research fellowship for the year 1953-54.

When contacted by the CRIMSON last evening, Furry politely, but firmly, refused to comment on his pending hearing. He did say, however, that he had been notified to be at the Court at 10 a.m. today, but, he added, that he was not sure what time he would be called to the stand. Judging from past experiences in this sort of thin, said Furry, he could never be certain of the Senator's time schedule.