Howe to Run 500 in K of C; Rittenburg Unable to Hurdle

Because of a foot injury, Bob Rittenburg star hurdler, broad jumper, and all around point-getter, will probably be unable to challenge Harrison Dillard's six-year grip in the 45-yard high hurdles in the Knights of Columbus Annual Track Meet tomorrow night.

According to Coach Bill McCurdy, Rittenburg "would have given Dillard a good run." Rittenburg, a steady scorer for the varsity, has been a consistent performer in the high hurdles, board jump, and high jump.

Alan Howe will be meeting stiff competition in the Ed Farrell 500-yard Run from Dick Eaton of Boston College and Bernard Bruce of Boston University. Eaton is favored in the event, but McCurdy disagrees. "I am completely satisfied with Howe's performance," McCurdy claims.

The Ed Farrell 500-Yard Run is named in honor of Ed Farrell, former Harvard track coach, who died recently. The event is open to new England college athletes, particularly from Greater Boston.

The varsity mile relay team, composed of Captain jack Richards, Rennie Little, Alan Howe, and Dave Alpors, is aiming for the Daniel Kelly Trophy, which will be awarded to the fastest mile relay team from Massachusetts. In order to qualify for the trophy, the team must beat Columbia, Princeton, and Yale in their own relay.

McCurdy Confident

Although the race is considered a "toss-up" by most observers, McCurdy has "a different opinion."

In the two mile relay, "Hubie" Maguire, Al Wills, Cal Perkins, and Frank Nahigian may find the running stiff against such competition as M.I.T. and Yale.

The Yardlings will run Captain Mike Wharton, Mike Robertson, Bob Wiel, and Jim Cairns against highly-regarded Brown and Yale in the freshman mile relay.

Joel Cohen, freshman star in the hurdles and dash, Ed Carter, Paul Rosenthal, and Leo Hurd will compete in the 45-yard high hurdles, and Charlie Arena, Norman Bruck, Herbie Collins, and possibly Peter Dow will run in the 50-yard dash.