Rugged Columbia Faces Varsity Wrestling Team in Crucial Meet

By Steven C. Swett

The varsity wrestling team will unbar every hold in the book tomorrow afternoon when it meets the Columbia Lions at 2 p.m. in the Blockhouse.

If it doesn't, the undefeated Crimson may succumb to its toughest riyal thus far this season.

Columbia come north sporting a three and one record which includes a near shutout over Brown, a team which the varsity barely defeated last Saturday in the season's closest meet. Only loss on the Lion record is last Saturday's close tussle against a strong Yale team, which eventually topped the wrestlers from Morning side Heights, 17 to 11.

Miller Replaces Caimi

When Coach Bob Pickett calls tomorrow's match "our real test," he's thinking of the six post-game meets which pit the Crimson against the strongest teams in the East. A win over Columbia could go a long way toward an undefeated season.

Only change in the varsity roster will be junior Len Miller, who replaces Tony Caimi in the 167 pound class. Miller split his only two matches.

"Columbia's a balanced squad." Pickett explains. "its power is scattered through eight classes."

Though its two lightweights have records of two wins and two defeats, 137 pound Phil Carino is undefeated in four matches. Bob Sherry at 167 hasn't lost all season and heavyweight Captain Little field, also unscathed, ranks as one of the East's top wrestler.

The possible weak spots in the Lion armor may appear in the 147 and 177 pound class, where Harry Scott and Dale Granger have each lost a match. Three different men have wrestled at 157. Bob Niver will probably fill in tomorrow.

Still undefeated for the Crimson are Captain chick Chandler at 157, Phil Burnaman at 137, Ed Keating at 123, Ken Culbert at 177 and Dick Aadms at 120.