Breakfast at Claverly

Since the original decision to make Claverly an "in-house" and de-stigmatize its residents, the University has made successive changes designed to equalize the status of the men assigned there. First, full membership in respective Houses was instituted. Resident tutors followed, and a watchman was even added, to assure regular House members that there was no super-equality concerning parietal rules.

But this "separate but equal" policy, combined with large, even elaborate rooms, and proximity to the Yard and Square, does not compensate for the distinct financial disadvantage of missing breakfasts because of the distance from Claverly to most of the Houses. Sloshing through snow or rain at the crack of dawn is enough to discourage even the hungriest from having breakfast at his House. Most prefer to gulp downcoffee and doughnuts en route to class. Thus, while few Claverly men eat breakfast in the Houses, all must pay for it.

In the interests of fraternity and good bookkeeping, University policy has been to demand full board payment for all meals. For lunch and dinner, this is hardly unfair, but the mental barrier of the morning walk to Dunster or Eliot, even in good weather, will continue to keep Claverly men away from breakfast.

The University should recognize this abstinence and allow Claverly men the option of not paying for the breakfast meal if they do not intend to eat it. Those who wish may continue paying for three meals a day, but for the morning faster, payment by coupon for these rare occasions should be enough.