Football Captain Exalted by Yalies

What student position does the average Yalie want most to hold?

A survey recently conducted by a Yale sociologist to determine the most sought-after campus office or club reveals that the average Eli, like most other school-boys, would most enjoy being football captain.

Members of last year's senior class rated 225 undergraduate activities, each listed with respect to officership, membership, and other sub-categories. The survey, conducted by James S. Davie, sociaologist in Yale's Department of Health, showed these to be the ten most desired positions: 1) football captain, 2) editor of the Yale Daily News, 3) chairman of the junior prom, 4) membership in Skull and Bones, 5) basketball captain, 6) membership in the Whiffenpoofs singing organization, 7) chairman of WYBC, 8) tie between hockey captain and swimming captain, 10) president of Phi Beta Kappa.

Class secretary was in the 11th spot, while crew captain was 15th, and captain of the baseball team was 18th.

At the bottom of the list appeared membership in such campus political organizations as Young Republicans or Young Democrats, and membership in clubs composed of students who attended the same preparatory school or came from the same section of the country.