Forum Calls Off Proposed Debate

The Law Forum last night announced that its proposed debate on Communism featuring Senator Joseph R. McCarthy as one of the speakers has been concelled.

"The proposed debate had to be called off," a Forum spokesman said, "when no suitable opponent could be found for the Wisconsin senator."

When the debate was originally planned, McCarthy told the Forum that he would appear only it former President Truman would oppose him. Truman declined the Forum's invitation early in December.

Vital issue

Since then, Horschell Shanks 1L, coordinator of the proposed debate, has tried to secure another speaker, but McCarthy has still insisted that he would face no one but Truman, and had recently accepted another engagement in the Forum's place.

The proposed forum was to be called "How We Americans Should Deal With Communism," and was tentatively set for March 5.

In his original letters to both McCarthy and Truman, Shanks stated that there is "no more vital issue" than the suggested topic. Truman was invited as a "trusted and beloved champion of civil liberties and bitter opponent of McCarthyism."