Coach Weiland Revives JV Hockey To Give Young Players Experience

The new Junior Varsity hockey team, the first under Coach Cooney Welland will hold its opening practice at 7 p.m. tonight.

The increased amount of ice that the new rink affords prompted Welland to revive a J.V. team which had been forced out of existence by several mild winters. The primary purpose of the new team will be to give experience to sophomores and to other players who are future varsity material.

With the return of lettermen Jeff Coolidge and Tony Patton from the injured list, Welland was confronted with the problem of giving eight defensemen and three goalies an opportunity to play. Those who do not make the varsity will now get practice on the J.V.

Among the eight defensemen are two returning juniors and lettermen, Ed Mrkonich and Ned Almy, and Dick Clasby, who was used as a defenseman on the western trip. Charlie Flynn, Carl Hathaway, and George Anderson are the three goalies.

Weiland and freshman coach John White will share the coaching duties for the J.V. team. Anyone can appear for the first practice since the squad has yet to be picked. Several of the better House players are expected.