University Astronomers Announce Discovery of New Meteor Group

Three University astronomers announced to a Nashville, Tenn., astronomical meeting that they have discovered a new variety of meteor shower.

Drs. F. L. Whipple, L. G. Jacchia and Miss Frances W. Wright of the College Observatory made the discovery from photographic observations of the Delta Aquarius, named for the star Delta in the constellation of Aquarius from which the meteors seem to radiate.

The Delta Aquarids, the trio of scientists stated, move in a highly elliptical orbit around the sun. Such an orbit differs greatly from that of any other meteor swarms. According to the astronomers, the particles did not originate from the debris of a comet in the usual manner of meteor formation.

Although this new type of meteor formation differs from the standard from of origin and orbit, the astronomers could find no other variations after examining the formation by both telescope and radar.

Distortion Noted

The trio disclosed that the meteor particles must be either very heat resistant or very young in order to withstand an intense heat of nearly 1500 degrees Fahrenheit when they pass within 5,500,000 miles of the sun.

At a distance of 480,000,000 miles from the sun, the Delta Aqurids pass near the orbit of the planet Jupiter and the powerful gravitational field of this planet. The scientists stated that the meteor particles are subject to extreme distortion at this time.