1954 Draft Call May Not Bother College Students

Frederick L. Nyhan, deputy of the Massachusetts Selective Service Board, indicated yesterday that studious undergraduates need not worry about the draft in 1954.

Nyhan announced also that the draft call for this month will be less than half of last January's totals.

Nyhan explained that the draft boards will aim at the "older age bracket" during 1954 although they may call some men as young as 20 years old.

This reduction of draftees is possible because of the cease fire in Korea. In Massachusetts alone, Nyhan indicated, officials will summon only 607 men this month whereas 1,707 were inducted last January. The prediction for January's number of draftees in the entire nation is 20,000 as compared to 48,000 in 1953.

No Undergrad Change

Nyhan said the low draft call will have no effect on undergraduate draft regulations. Any freshman standing in the top half of his class will still be deferred from the draft for his sophomore year. Any sophomore in the top two-thirds of his class will be deferred during his junior year. Any junior in the top three-quarters of his class will be deferred for his senior year. And any senior in the top half of his class may be deferred for his first year of graduate study.

Undergraduates who can annually obtain a mark of 70 on the Selective Service exam are still exempt throughout that college years. Seniors who wish to be deferred during their first year of graduate work need a grade of 75 on this exam.