McNiff Would Expand Study In the Houses

By William W. Bartley iii

Sweeping changes in the House library system may be brought about as a result of an investigation this week by Philip J. McNiff, Lamont librarian.

According to Stephen L. Reynolds '55, chairman of a Student Council library committee, McNiff has agreed that House libraries alone are insufficient to accommodate reading and exam period late study demands.

Rather than keep Lamont open for the late hours McNiff prefers to explore possibilities of expanding present House facilities. His figures show that Lamont is used primarily as a study hall after 10 p.m. "Lamont is the most expensive study hall space you could possibly secure," McNiff said last night. He would prefer to utilize the House libraries--financially more practical places for study--to take care of study demands.

McNiff and Reynolds will, accordingly, tour the Houses this week. Some of the changes in mind include vastly improved lighting, more table space, and in some cases utilization of common rooms.

If the House libraries are extensively changed and Lamont remains closed during the late evening hours, freshmen will probably be provided with a special library-study hall, probably in the Union.

Such changes--if they are made--will probably be done over the Christmas vacation.

Figures Theoretical

McNiff will also investigate Reynold's suggestion that official figures on House library capacity are highly theoretical, being based on the actual number of seats available, rather than on the number in which study actually is possible.

Meanwhile, Reynolds has modified original student demands for late Lamont hours throughout the exam periods. On the basis of last spring's figures, he would be willing to give up his demands last for extended Lamont hours in the last week of exam period, in early June. Many students by this time have finished all their exams.

Nevertheless, Reynolds will continue to press for keeping Lamont open late, rather than expanding House facilities. He was able to show from last year's figures that undergraduates preferred Lamont to the libraries for study space.