Popularity Poll

Mass elections for Homecoming queen and the "best all-around guy" are usually associated with high school and Mid-Western colleges. But when a contest for Permanent Class Committee. Last year's balloting produced two major criticisms of the election procedure. While the prestige of the Permanent Class Committee encourages many nominations, few candidates are willing to accept scant honor and drudgery of the Class Day Committee. Moreover, only a minority of the Houses are usually represented on these Committees.

To overcome apathy for the Class Day Committee, the CRIMSON last year advocated combining the two separate elections. This plan would give the Class Day Committee more prominence, and discourage those actually unwilling to work. The Student Council acted wisely by giving tentative approval to this idea. But the Council may also decide to insure each House a seat on the Permanent Class Committee.

Such a guarantee has obvious disadvantages. By requiring arbitrary representation regardless of the voting, the plan could unjustly eliminate a man only because he ran second in his House. And since the Permanent Committee's work requires no contact with the Houses, the magical idea of equality is not only unfair, but is also a myth. The Permanent Committee's obligation is to enlist the support of class members for post-graduate projects, making well-known seniors desirable Committee members. Although a popularity contest, the present general election accomplishes its purpose.

On the Class Day Committee, however, the possibility of at least one member from each House has merit. Unlike the Permanent Committee, the Class Day group must work closely with the Houses in planning Senior Week. Wide distribution would permit each member to smooth out administrative details with his own House, and sample attitudes toward Class Day plans.

Combining the elections of the Permanent Committee and the Class Day Committee is not as difficult as it might seem. The first twelve men would compose the Permanent Class Committee, with the next two going to the Class Day group. For the rest of the positions each House and Dudley would send its remaining top man. Adoption of the plan would improve the composition and efficiency of the Class Day Committee without needlessly altering the selection of Permanent Class representatives.