NO AID FOR SPECTATORS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It had been my assumption, in the past, that while Harvard had de-emphasized football, it had not, at the same time, reduced standard services to its fans who come out on Saturday afternoons to see the Crimson play. It seems, however, that this assumption on my part was incorrect. During the Columbia game last Saturday my date had the misfortune of being the target of a full can of beer thrown by an overly elated fan who hadn't the common decency to apologize to her when he saw she was injured. Be that as it may, she received a gash in the back of her head which required first-aid. Asking the ushers about a first-aid station in the stands, we were informed there wasn't any, but that a doctor should be in the medical room at Dillon Field House. At Dillon there was no doctor and no one who knew where to reach one. As the cut was not too bad, some antiseptic borrowed from the medical room fixed it temporarily.

It had always been my belief that some provision for medical aid to spectators was required at any event with so many people present. If the injury or sudden illness of some fan had been more serious he could have been in a bad way before any aid could have reached him. Because of the virtual inaccessibility of the doctors on the players' bench something should be done to provide aid to the general public in case of need of this sort. I would like to find out just what the H.A.A. has to say about it, and if they intend to provide this basic service which most colleges in the nation extend to their spectators. --Name Withheld by Request.