Crimson Defeats Redmen Harriers

Bob Horn of the University of Massachusetts set a new Franklin Park course record yesterday, but the varsity cross-country team, capturing five of the next six places, easily defeated the Redmen, 23-38, in the Crimson's opener. The Yardlings also won their meet, 25-30.

Horn, with a time of 20:56 for the 4.2 mile run, edged out a Crimson quintet which finished within 64 seconds of each other. Crimson coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday he held his runners back, not wanting to extend them before Tuesday's triangular meet with Boston University and Providence College.

Behind Horn came sophomore Bill Morris and Don French, with Morris' 21:18 one second faster than French's time. Bill Lepowski of Mass. was fourth, but the Crimson took fifth, six, and seventh places.

Dick Wharton was fifth with 21:47; Paul Beck, sixth with 21:56; and Al Wills, seventh with 22:22. In addition, Dave McLean and Bob Holmes of the varsity crossed the finish line before the next Redman placed.

Art Reider and Dave Norris, two of the very promising Yardling runners, placed first and second yesterday with good times of 15:06.8 and 15:18 for the 2.8 mile course. Other placers for the Crimson were French Anderson, fifth; Mike Liles, seventh; and John Carpenter, tenth.