conservative Club May Unite With SFA Group

The Conservative Club, which gained prominence last spring by first advocating and then repudiating spying tacties on suspected Communists at the University, is now considering affiliation with the students for America, David Cole '55, secretary of the club, said yesterday.

Cole said that be had been corresponding steadily with the SFA a national group which has avowed its intention to "uncover and eradicate" subversives on college campuses. Although the SFA had shown interest in the Conservative group, he continued, no decision on an affiliation will be made until the Club's first mooting within the next two weeks.

"If a member introduces a motion to join the Students for America, there is a good chances of our passing it," he said. "It seems to me that the principles and aims of students for American are in basic harmony with the aims of our group."

Same Charter Planned

The SFA group founded by Fulton Lewis Jr., and already banned from the University of Virginia campus, states in its written constitution that it will "unceasingly strive to uncover and eradicate the concerted and well-organized attempt by subversive elements to infiltrate our colleges and campuses."

Cole claimed that the Conservative Club had the ten members necessary to hold a charter from the University. He said he would submit the same charter that Dean Watson approved last spring again this year.

Students Fear Group

But undergraduates are apparently afraid to join the Conservative group, he continued, because "they understandably fear reprisals from the administration and fellow students."

The Club has invited a speaker to talk on "Socialist Bias in American Colleges," he said. "The Club feels this subject particularly appropriate in the light of the Harvard student body's naivete to the dangers of subversion."