Pusey Attacks Requirements For Teachers

President Pusey last night attached current technical requirements for public school teachers.

Speaking at the annual dinner of the Public Education Association is New York City. Pusey stated that teachers "should be encouraged in all their experience to grow as persons, rather than to become educational technicians."

Referring to widespread state requirements that public school teachers have extensive course credits in certain technical subjects, pedagogy and educational theory, Pusey said the time may be at hand to lift restrictions limiting the eligibility of liberal arts graduates to teach in public schools.

Must Go to Summer School

Many graduates of liberal arts colleges like Harvard and Yale, lacking these technical teaching requisites, have been forced to teach in private schools, which do not have such requirements he said. Others have been forced to spend their summers gaining teaching credits.

Experienced teachers should be able to devote summer time to their own intellectual interests, Pusey continued, rather than to further study of teaching methods.

American need to get the "finest insights of our finest citizens," he said. "It is time now through education to endeavor to make this operative in lives of more and more of our people."

"Education, working through individuals, releases, cultivates, magnified the powers of reason and concern for others in human affairs" Pusey added.