Pusey Maintains Distribution Vital Admission Policy

President Pusey last night defended the University's policy of admitting students on a nation-wide basis, rather than from New England alone, at the first Law Forum of the year.

"More than one third of Harvard's students come from New England." Pusey said, "but Harvard has long since ceased to be the sole property of New England. Great contributions have come to the University from people outside of New England and I hope they continue to come."

Pusey's statements, during the discussion of "Crises in Education," came in answer to a statement by Lee Dunn of the Boston Latin School that the University was passing up local students to get "the cream" of the West Coast.

Ulich, Weed Speak

Commenting on the growing need for teachers, both on the college land secondary school levels, Pusey said professors should encourage their students to enter the teaching profession.

It would also help, he added reiterating statements made earlier in the week, if local school boards would relax education course requirements to aid the liberal arts student interested in teaching.

Other speakers last night in New Lecture Hall were Robert Ulich, James Bryant Conant Professor of Education; and Frederick Weed '28, Headmaster of Roxbury Latin School.

The weaknesses of the American student in foreign languages and cultures were criticized by Ulich. He also asserted, however, that foreign students often know is little about American culture.

Weed said education as a whole would be improved if students we not "automatically graduated" as he called hem, would profit more from getting out into the world earlier than they do now.