H.D.C. Rents Space in Warehouse, Will Shift Property From Big Tree

The Harvard Dramatic Club, denied access to its old workshop by the Dean's Office and unable to find another suitable University building, yesterday rented a section of a warehouse on Arrow St. to house its sets and props.

For 15 years, the HDC had built sets in Big Tree Swimming Pool, but the Dean's Office forced them out this fall when the Club altered the pool construction, which violated University fire regulations established after a fire in the pool four years ago.

John Ratte '57, HDC spokesman, said the group would occupy the warehouse while working on the sets for the present production of "The School For Scandal" and might continue to use the warehouse as a permanent rehearsal theatre and workshop.

The HDC had considered using Agassiz Theatre as a replacement for Big Tree, but the warehouse has more space, a necessity for School For Scandal's large sets. Radcliffe regulations restricting working hours in Agassiz also helped destroy its practicability.