Drive on Illegal Sales of liquor May Dry Up Princeton by Nov. 6

Students who plan to go to Princeton next weekend had better stock up on liquor before they leave for the game. Princeton may be dry when they get there.

A widespread police drive on illegal liquor sales this week led to the suspension of one package store's license. Police surveillance was placed on five other liquor merchants near the college.

Aimed at liquor dealers who sell to students under 21, the Princeton drive also coincides with the last week of the local election campaign. But rivalries between the liquor sellers and pressure from the college administration may also have led to the police action.

Whatever the cause, the five stores still open have initiated a rigid checking system of identification cards and are refusing to sell to students who have cards but look under age.

Meanwhile, in Cambridge, a member of the Cambridge Police Department said that the department's crime prevention bureau is merely following its usual policy on liquor law violations and that "neither the coming elections or the WCTU can have any effect on how we enforce the local liquor laws." The officer, who refused to be identified, said that the department has men checking package and tavern sales at least two nights weekly.

The word of an arresting officer is sufficient evidence to convict a liquor store owner or barkeep of violation of the law. In most cases, the student involved is not arrested.

Captain Richard J. Linehan reported, however, that one youth was arrested this week for attempting to make an illegal purchase.