A SWITCH IN TIME

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We are writing with reference to the interesting situation created by various legislators in Providence, Boston, and Concord, N.H. While the remainder of the U.S. is abandoning Daylight Saving Time for the winter, these gentlemen would have us continue with what purports to be Eastern Daylight Saving Time. This is a misnomer, since such time has been abandoned everywhere else. The truth is that we are being led on a temporary sojourn into the Atlantic Standard Time Zone.

There are those about us who are participating in this project: for example, the Boston & Albany Railroad, local trains on the Boston & Maine, and the sovereign towns of Bellows Falls, Bennington, Brattleboro, and Rutland (all in Vermont). Standing against A.S.T. are the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad, including local services; the Central Vermont Railroad, including trains to and through certain enclaves; all airlines; and the United States mails.

Which course, then, is Harvard to choose? Shall we follow Dartmouth College and Brown University into the abyss of submission to local provincial whim? Or shall we stand firm with the rest of the Ivy League, as national institutions, in adhering to Eastern Standard Time? Waiter L. McLean '56, Timothy D. Eilard '56, Edward K. L. Upton '56, Alan D. Lourle '56, Charles S. Lipson '54, and David J. Dreyer '57