McKay Says French Assembly Likely To Approve Agreement on Germany

Approval by the French Assembly of the London agreements to rearm West Germany is very likely, Donald C. McKay '28, professor of History, said last night.

McKay, an expert in modern French history, called the latest plan to bring unity to Western Europe "a real hope for France."

"With Mendes-France putting all his weight as Premier behind the agreement, I am confident the Assembly will approve the agreement," he stated.

The assurance of Great Britain that it would not withdraw its armed forces from Continental Europe was one of the key factors in the agreement, McKay noted. "With Great Britain working together with France, the French no longer have to fear Germany as much," he said.

England's Decision Important

"The concessions of Great Britain were more important to France," McKay continued, "than the armed strength of the United States." Although the French respect the United States' aid to Europe, McKay pointed out, they are much happier with British support. "There is a prevalent fear in France," he said, "that the McCarthys and other American isolationists might force the United States to pull out of Europe at some time."

With limits set on the type and size of German armaments, McKay felt France would have a strong check on German nationalism. With Germany united, France will be able to take the lead in keeping the arms industries, thereby improving her economy.

If Mendes-France does push the agreement through the Assembly, McKay believes he will become one of the strongest French premiers in recent years. He also praised British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Secretary of State Dulles for their part in the agreements.

Because of the pact, McKay said the likelihood of a united Germany seems more remote than ever. "The Russians might have been willing to go along with a neutral West Germany, but never with West Germany as it is now."

McKay said that the French Socialists will probably vote more in a bloc for this agreement than they did for the EDC pact which was defeated earlier. The failure of the Socialists to vote as a body was one of the principal causes of EDC's downfall.