Crimson Captures First Ten Places In Running Meet

Ten Crimson runners crossed the Franklin Park finish line yesterday before Bob Patton, Brown's number one runner, could complete the 4.2 mile distance. This remarkable early-season sweep gave the varsity cross-country team a 15 to 50 victory, its third straight of the year.

In cross-country, it is, considered extraordinary if one team sweeps the first five places, but the Crimson ten-place blitz is almost unprecedented in Ivy League competition.

Don French, the most experienced runner on the Crimson squad, a 5-10 junior from Newton, beat out his closest rival, Bill Morris, for the first time this year. Morris, last year's freshman captain, kept up with French for almost four miles, but faded at the end. French covered the distance in 20:13 and Morris in 20:25.

Al Wills, rapidly reaching peak condition, took third place from Dave McLean. Wills was timed in 20:37, and McLean in 20:55. Dick Wharton grabbed the last scoring place with a time of 21:01.

In descending order, the other five Crimson finishers were Paul Beck, 21:06; Phil Williams, 21:07; Bob Holmes, 21:42; John Road, 22:11; and Jim Cairns, 22:14.

In their strongest performance so far this season, the Crimson freshmen, led by Pete Reider, defeated the young Bruins, 20 to 37.