Varsity Scores Muddy 27-13 Win Over Ohio

By Jack Rosenthal

Undergraduates who desire tickets for the Brown game must submit the usual tan envelopes to the Department of Athletic at 60 Boylston St. by 5 p.m. today. Student tickets require only the inclusion of athletic cards; each additional ticket will cost $4.

It wasn't fast, flashy, or particularly close, but it was Coach Lloyd Jordan's favorite kind of football, and most important for the 6500 Stadium fans last Saturday, it was a varsity victory.

Slippery footing and even more slippery Ohio backs reduced the game to its traditional fundamentals, and the Crimson gained a 27 to 13 victory not because of razzle-dazzle ground plays or lengthy passes, but simply because it blocked harder and tackled better.

For a time, however, Ohio's pony backfield displayed both frightening speed and an unnerving ability to twist throught the varsity line. This ability was enough, in fact, to lead the Bobcats to an imposing total of 275 yards on the ground.

This total is exceptionally impressive since the varsity had limited its four previous opponents to an average of 84 yards per game rushing.

Erland Ahlberg, with an eight-yard-per-carry average, was touted as the best back on the Ohio team; Saturday, he was perhaps the best back on the field. He carried 17 times, once for 26 yards and a touchdown, and averaged a fearsome nine yards per play.

Joel Deckman, who, like Ahlberg, weighs only 158 pounds, compiled an almost equally impressive 8.6 yard average on five plays, including a 40-yard scoring breakaway in the first period.

Joslin Takes Over

But the more permanent impression was made by the Crimson second line. While it was abundantly clear that a substitute line does not a stone wall make, its offensive play was good--so good, in fact, that one no longer continues to take the work of Bill Meigs, Orville Tice, John Maher, Tim Anderson, Bob Cochran, Bill Frate, et al, almost for granted. The quality of their work is statistically evident, for they opened holes often enough to allow a predominantly sopho- more backfield to rack up 20 first downs. And most of those were gained without the services of sophomore tailback Matt Botsford, who suffered an elbow injury in the last minute of the first quarter. It has not yet been announced whether the injury was a fracture, but in any case, it was a bad break for Botsford, who was succeeded by Jim Joslin, another sophomore, who proceeded to carry the ball 14 times for 75 yards, and a solid 5.5 yard average.

While Joslin played creditably throughout the rest of the game, his abilities were especially outstanding in a third quarter sequence which led to the third Crimson touchdown.

Gianelly Improves

On four consecutive plays, Joslin advanced the ball from the Obio 47 to the 13, and then after one play and a penalty, Joslin swung fast to the right side and tossed a smooth floating pass to wingback Bob Cowles, waiting on the goal line.

Perhaps the most noticeable--and welcome--phase of the game to the spectators huddled under raincoats and programs was the performance of fullback Tony Gianelly, a sophomore, and until Saturday little more than that. He showed the effects of a tough week of practicing gridiron fundamentals, setting up and scoring the last Crimson touchdown.

The varsity scored first, at 7:08 of the first quarter, when Botsford carried from the two to cap a 43-yards-in-eight-plays march. Joe Ross followed with the first of his three extra points.

Halfback Spurts 40 Yards

An attempted pitchout later in the period by Bobcat quarterback Bill Frederick led to the second Crimson score, at 12:08. Frederick tried to toss to Ahlberg, but he was thrown by Bob Cochrane and the lateral wobbled around on the ground until Cowles recovered it on the Ohio 38. The touchdown came four plays later on a seven-yard reverse by Simourian; Ross missed his only kick.

Three plays later, Deckman, on a pitchout, squeezed through the line and raced 40 yards for the touchdown past a bewildered Crimson defense.

After a scoreless second quarter, the Crimson took a two-touchdown lead at 4:59 in the third period on Joslin's running pass to Cowles, but the Bobcats, or rather Ahlberg, countered with a 68-yard march immediately after, and he scooted over from the 26 on a hand-off.

Gianelly provided the final score at 5:46 of the final period, after just failing to score three plays earlier. Before, he had faked a pitchout, run off right tackle, and pounded 27 yards down the right side before he fell on the eight, trying to dodge the Ohio safety.

After a three-yard gain by Simourian, Gianelly crashed through right guard on two successive plays for the touchdown