Mediterranean Muddle

A popular sport for England's colonial possessions is pulling the tail of the British lion, whether by asking for independence or more economic support. The most persistent of recent irritations comes from the strategically located island of Cyprus, rising from the Mediterranean within gunshot of Turkey. The Cypriots have pleaded for independence, but the British answer has been as blunt and undignified as a punch in the nose.

Refusing the Cypriots even the gesture of a diplomatic conference, the British clamped the nationalist movement under the pressure of anti-sedition laws. But the unrest remains, bolstered by a continuing barrage of propaganda from the Athens radio. While the British fear the loss of defensive bases, the Greeks dream of the day when Cyprus will be free to unite with them. British consuls have justified the tight controls by firing a torrent of singularly weak arguments at the agitators. It is suggested, for example, that a split with Britain might leave the Greek and Turkish forces in Cyprus to fight out old grudges. Yet the actual figures recorded in the U.N. indicate that over 80 percent of the is land are Greek in language and religion, and that the Turkish population is so small that it would not dare foment a civil war.

The English government also claims that Cyprus has been dependent on it for economic aid, and that continued support is necessary. But the Cypriots are little impressed by Britain's mosquito killing program and tree planting; they want freedom. All the arguments launched by the British, in fact, have been dashed against the rock of Cyprus' national sentiment.

The danger is that Cyprus' nationalism will become the effective mask for hiding a communistic drive to win the island. Although Moscow's party is legally outlawed, Cyprus officials admit that the crowing left-wing political group is a Communist working center. If Britain believes it can sit on Cyprus' feelings merely by brute force, it is forgetting the Suez and India.

To avert a loss of Cyprus' good-will, the British should allow a vote of self-determination on the island. The Greeks and the Cypriots have already expressed their willingness to negotiate with the British for the continuation of the military bases. And the U.N. voted in September to undertake control of any election, should the British allow it. Britain must realize it is no longer the Imperial power of old, and that relaxation of its grip on Cyprus will best serve its national interests and the free world's defense of Europe.