Council Votes Merger Of 2 Class Committees

By William W. Bartley iii

The Student Council last night decided to absorb the traditional Class Day Committee into the Permanent Class Committee and to put the latter committee's elections on a partial House representative basis.

The motion was passed by a vote of 11 to 6. The decision, made after an intense debate, was based on a three-point argument outlined by David P. Bicks '55, Council vice-president.

According to Bicks, the representative system will assure a wider personal acquaintance between the electorate and the Committee. It would also expedite frequent Permanent Class Committee plans which require House participation and will correct last year's unbalanced election.

Under the new ruling, at least one committee member will be affiliated with each House, including Dudley. Four members "at large" will be elected, the first three of these being the Class Marshals. After the voter checks any four candidates, he then votes in preferential order for any number of candidates from his own House.

This decision, a confirmation of a similar "considered" motion two weeks ago, is binding only for one year, according to Clifford L. Alexander '55, president.

Several Protests

The motion came in spite of several protests during the past two weeks from the student body, some change of opinion among Student Council members, and efforts at the meeting to require either a two-thirds vote for passing the motion, or to refer the whole issue to a college referendum.

Although the combination of the two committees was the newest part of the general motion, made for the first time two weeks ago, it passed with hardly a murmur of dissent. Dispute centered over the House representation clause.

Against Bicks' stand, several Council members maintained that House representation is unimportant for the election, the ultimate duties of the committee being directed to service and activities for the whole class, not for individual Houses. Leading this side, John Merrifield '55 claimed the basic criterion for election to such an honorary committee was being the "biggest lump of prestige."

Supporting the argument for House representatives, Richard Bushman '55 said the Council "would be moving with the administration" in emphasizing the House over the class. He said it is inevitable that the Houses will eventually take over a more important place for graduates because the College is growing larger and more Houses will be added.