Terry Captures IC4A Title As Manhattan Wins Crown

NEW YORK, N.Y. Nov. 15--George Terry, Boston University's unheralded sophomore star, almost ran the wrong way today, but he recovered in time to capture the IC4A individual crown on the Van Cortlandt Park course. Manhattan, placing three men in the top 20, took the team championship.

With about a mile to go in the race, Terry, approaching Cometery Hill, got confused at a cross-roads, and before he could straighten himself out, he was passed by George King of New York University. But Terry, who was the only B.U. runner competing, caught King with about a half mile to go. Terry's time was 24:36.4, and King was clocked in 24:43.

Cornell, which had been a pre-meet favorite, finished sixth behind Manhattan, Pittsburgh, Villanova, Penn State, and Georgetown. Army was ninth and Harvard 15th.

Terry Equals Kelly

By winning, Terry equalled the feat achieved by B.U.'s John Kelly last year. Most observers in Boston have felt all year that Terry will surpass Kelly's cross country and track achievements before he graduates. Terry was undefeated this fall, including a first place in a triangular meet with Harvard and Providence which the Crimson won.

In a race which is usually marked by close battles for the top positions, today's meet was marked by unusually easy placings for the top men. Behind King came Bob Sbarra of Manhattan; Don Townsend of St. John's; Steve Armstrong of Syracuse; Arnold Sowell of Pittsburgh; Frank Pflaging of Georgetown; John Kopill of Villanova; James Debraggio of Manhattan; and Ed Kirk of Georgetown.

The first Heptagonal finisher was Ralph Stephenson of Army, who placed 20th. Jack Rosenbaum of Cornell, twice winner of the Heps, was 23rd.

For Coach Bill McCurdy's Crimson, the finishers were: Al Wills, 37th; Paul Beck, 101st; Don French, 107th; Bill Morris, 112th; Bob Holmes, 113th; and Dick Wharton, 143rd.