College Admits 1874 To Obtain Freshman Class Total of 1162

In order to obtain a freshman class of 1,162, a total of 1,874 applicants had to be admitted to the College last spring, it was announced yesterday. The figures were released as part of the statistical breakdown of the Class of 1958.

The 1,162 freshmen, admitted and enrolled represent an increase of 12 over the Class of 1957, but scholarship aid to the freshmen was reduced from 368 awards to 321.

It has been previously explained that the scholarship cutback was necessary because an unusually high percentage of '57 accepted aid. The amounts of individual awards, however, was neither reduced nor increased.

Massachusetts Leads

Total applications last year rose to a record 3,548, an increase of 147 over the previous year. Admissions to '57 totaled 1,829.

A boost of only 6 percent was reported in the ratio of public to private school men admitted. Almost 400 high schools placed 625 men in the Class of '58 and 162 private schools accounted for the other 537 freshmen, a percentage breakdown of 53.8 to 46.2.

Geographically, Massachusetts still leads in the number of students, although admissions from the state fell from 364 for '57 to 336 for '58. The New York representation, second largest, rose in numbers from 188 to 229.

This year's freshman class is slightly younger than '57. It enters with an average age of about 18 years 3 months, compared to 18-6 for '57.