J.V., Yardling Elevens to Meet Elis Today

Crimson Jayvees Seek Fifth Straight Win Over Underdog Blue in Weekend Opener

The Little Big Three title will be the prize today as the best Crimson Jayvee eleven in several years faces Yale at 1:45 p.m. on Soldiers Field.

Coach Norm Shepard's squad, which has won four straight games since losing its opener to Brown, enters the contest as a decided favorite over the Yalies, who have a one-three record. The Crimson boasts four-touchdown victories over both Dartmouth and Princeton, two teams that have beaten the Eli jayvees.

In seeking to start the weekend right with a Crimson victory and Big Three title, Shepard will start the same team that has worked increasingly well in the past four games. Directing the T-formation attack will be quarterback Joe Crehere, a junior whose ball handling and passing approach varsity standards, and who may very well earn a promotion by next fall.

Damis Stars on Offense

The Jayvees' main offensive weapon is right halfback Jim Damis, sophomore who reached his peak against Princeton by scoring three touchdowns in the last eight minutes. Also starting in the backfield will be Larry Halpern at left half and George Nager at fullback. Both are juniors who can run very well once given the ball.

An important factor in the Jayvees' successful season so far has been the play of its line, which has exhibited outstanding strength and depth. From left to right, the starters include Tony Markella at left end, Bill Markos at tackle, Art Ticknor at guard, Lou Newell at center, Sam Quatarono at guard, Joel Chinman at tackle, and Jack Evjy at end.

Of those, Markos, Quatarone, Ticknor, and Chinman have been particularly impressive during the season, and should see varsity action next fall. "Any one of them could step into the varsity line now in an emergency," Shepard said.