City to Consider All Night Street Parking Proposal

A proposal to permit all-night parking on the Cambridge streets for a monthly fee of $2 will be considered at 8 p.m. tonight in a special meeting of the City Council Committee on Ordinances.

Invitations to the council session have been sent to Administrative Vice-President Edward Reynolds and University police chief Matthew J. Toohy.

The proposed order states that applicants for overnight parking permission will have to show the city's licensing bureau that no garaging facilities are available within a reasonable distance from their residences. The bureau would then need to obtain the assent of the owner of the property adjoining proposed parking sites.

500 Sign Petition

Much controversy is expected at the meeting tonight and a final vote may not be taken. The strongest opposition will come from garage and parking lot owners. Protests have also been filed by residents who suspect that overnight parking will be a menace to public safety, especially in case of fire.

Already, more than 500 Cambridge citizens have signed a petition opposing the proposal on the grounds of public safety.

In defense of his order, Joseph A. DeGuglielmo of the City Council, said, "the owners of many vehicles in the city of Cambridge have been adjudicated to be violating the criminal laws of the city through no fault of their own."