Student Does Studies, Council Work in Bed

By Peter V. Shackter

For the first time in the history of the University, a student, confined to bed because of illness, is taking College courses at home for A.B. credit.

Although prostrate in a cast from his chest down, Irving K. Zola '56 of Dorchester, Mass., and Adams House, is currently enrolled in History of Religions 101, Social Relations 119, and Social Relations 143a. He obtained permission to study at home only through a special vote of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

An honors concentrator in Social Relations and a member of the Student Council, Zola suffered numerous contusions and a shattered femur in a car accident in early September.

To facilitate studying at home, Zola has arranged to have his courses' lecture notes collected daily from his friends by Franklin R. Brush, Adams House tutor in Social Relations. These notes arrive in sporadic batches with reserve books from Lamont, which Zola is allowed to keep out for three days.

He takes his examinations at home, specially proctored, or on the honor system, and sends his blue books back by registered mail. "I was apprehensive about the exams, not having been to any of the lectures; but they did not prove more difficult than I had expected." Zola said.

Zola denied there was any advantage in studying in bed and added that the increased time for study was counteracted by the increased difficulty of concentrating. "Besides," he added, "most courses, taken on the horizontal, tend to make me fall asleep."

His injuries have not kept him from his responsibilities in the Student Council. Although he cannot attend meetings, he has written two reports and roads minutes of every session.