CLASS OR HOUSE?

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It seems to us that the Student Council in its proposal to elect the Permanent Class Committee on a semi-House basis is defeating the true purpose underlying the Class Committee election.

The Class Committee was originally intended to be a representative body of the entire graduating class, transcending House affiliation. Under the proposed plan, the House would assume a position of importance in alumni affairs rather than the class itself.

Furthermore, the Council plan as proposed would only allow a limited range of choice; that is, an individual senior would only be allowed to vote for five out of the twelve positions. Two excellent men from the same House might be denied positions on the committee, while a less outstanding person may succeed in a House less highly endowed.

We feel that any selection for a CLASS committee should be on a total CLASS basis rather than House.

The argument that a House feels slighted when no member of its senior class is elected to the Committee while another House has a preponderance of members does not seem to follow in the idea of a committee designed to have the most able men representing the class.

We also feel that this matter is too important to be left to the Student Council alone, but rather should be put to a class vote. Walter W. Bregman '55   John P. Sheehy '55   Edward M. Curtis '52