UNITED NATIONS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

We commend you for your timely appraisal of United Nations Charter Review. The best omen for a fruitful Review Conference is an indication that people are supporting the initiative of their statesmen in this issue.

That the Review Conference will be held is nearly assured. Secretary Dulles won small-nation support for the United Nations at San Francisco in 1945 with a promise of a chance in ten years to adjust the Charter's innequities, and a year ago in August he put the United States on record in favor of the Conference. According to Professor Louis B. Sohn of the Law School, if the issue were presented now, more than the thirty-one votes required to call the Conference are easily available.

Beyond the proganda suicide of blocking the Conference and repudiating our promise, we feel it is worth trying for progress in security matters. The most pressing need is for disarmament, and the ever present threat of was may compel a sufficient community of interest to secure it. The Soviet Union has been known to jump on the band-wagon before--especially when it became clear that it would be to its advantage: witness Russia's recent acceptance of the jurisdiction of the World Court in order to gain membership in the International Labor Organization. In addition, it looks as if a decrease in armament expenses is the only way the U.S. government can restore its fool-hardy reduction in funds for technical assistance--a program of proven value in the war for man's minds. Taylor J. Smith '56   David A. Hanson '56