Evely Matched Teams Battle To Close Finish In Stadium Test

By Michael N. Malitz

Two great football teams of the past, Harvard and Princeton, battled each other before a near-capacity crowd at Palmer Stadium here today. Both playing without some of their first teams, they played 60 minutes of full-time football. The halftime watched Tiger forth-string tailback Sid Pnch played great football to keep the Tiger in contention.

First Quarter

After Harvard moved the ball thirty yards to the Princeton 45, the Cantabs, wearing white uniforms in an obvious attempt to fool the Tigers, were forced to kick. They kicked and Princeton moved right up the field using a brand new formation.

On the first play, Frank Agnew snowing the greatness of which he is capable, gained four yards through Harvard's overrated line. One the next play, Bob Russell making even-seasoned Palmer Stadium forget about Homer Smith Stadium forget about Homer Smith broke into the clear where he made 45 yards to the Harvard 45.

After Harvard kicked the Tigers took over. An intercepted pass gain the Cantabe the ball. Jostlin kicked for the Cantabs to its own 37 but the Johnnies Bad Billy Meiggs stopped agnew running out of this circle formation. Russell carried for 9 (nine). Pinch again failed to pass or gain, but then completed, a wobbly pass to Agnew on the Harvard 7.

Second Quarter

Twice the referees moved and Princeton was moved away from a touchdown and then Guy Marden dove over the Crimson wall at 1:12. The Referees decided that the Princeton kick wasn't any good at all.

Ganelly hit the lien and then the lien hit Crosby who fumbleld the ball into paydirt where it was recovered for a very flukey goal by Itchy Kroch. Jordan's extra point conversion attemt try was called good and the Cantabe took an imposing load.

Third Quarter

Princeton faced the Cantabs from Harvard in the second half. Charley Caldwell's Tigers, caged for most of this season, seemed ready to fulfill the predictions of greatness which have been predicted for them by the sportswriters from the Metropolitan (New York) area. But every time they thrust into the darkened shadows of the Crimson goalposts the breaks went against them and they lost the

Fourth Quarter

The fourth quarter started with Princeton playing determined football, as they tried desperately be score against the Cantabs. The estimated 40,000 fans rose to its feet time and again as the Tigers took to the air to score. But Fiippin and Frye on the sidelines this attack never quite clicked. The teams continued to battle to a standstill and avoid a stalemate.