University Gains $4 Million in '54 Financial Grants

A total of $4,373,000 in gifts for immediate use and capital endowment was given to the University during the first quarter of the 1954-55 fiscal year.

The figure represents an increase of nearly $2 million over first-quarter totals last year. Capital gifts alone increased to $2,444,000 from last year's figure of $260,000, although the gifts for immediate use declined slightly from $2,033,000 to $1,929,000.

"Gifts fluctuate a great deal, and it wouldn't be wise to see any trend in the big jump in capital donations," Eugene G. Kraetzer '29, Recording Secretary of the University, commented yesterday. He added that the capital gift total included a bequest for $844,000 and another for $597,000. "But you can't always depend on such gifts," he said.

The University received $1,584,000 of the money given for permanent endowment without restrictions on its use. The Medical School received $243,000, including $255,000 from Charles E. Merrill to endow the Samuel Levine professorship. $190,000 went to the University Library from the estate of William T. Morse.

In gifts for immediate use, the Medical School led all other departments, with a total of $442,000 donated. Three-quarters of the money was given for research projects. The School of Public Health received $420,000, including $100,000 for general expenses from the Rockefeller Foundation.

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences, which received $328,000, got the third highest amount.

Most of the gift money was solicited, Kraetzer said, by the departments concerned with particular projects.