Syracuse Quintet Hangs On, Downs Varsity by 63-56

SYRACUSE, N.Y. Dec. 10--Syracuse broke it two-game losing streak tonight, gaggering to a 63-56 victory over a spirited Harvard quintet.

Behind by as much as 20 points, 55-25, midway in the second half, the Crimson, led by Harry Sacks and Jke Canty, redacted the deficit to five points with three minutes left. The Orange was able to freeze the ball for the rest of the game, however, and give the Crimson its second defeat in three starts.

Vance Cohen, Syracuse's sophomore ace, was high scorer in the game, with 26 points, almost personally leading the Orange to 31-22 half-time lead. Sacks, sinking nine foul shots, scored 25 points.

Canty Vital Factor

Canty, entering the game as a substitute for Manning who had committed four fouls, was a vital factor in the Crimson's second half drive. Canty, hitting on his hook shots, scored 13 points. Another sophomore who surprised Coach Floyd Wilson was Neil Muncaster. Muncaster tallied eight points on four field goals.

The Orange defense held the Crimson's met-shooting captain, Roger Bulger, as well as forward Manning both scoreless. Rollin Perry had two points, and Bob Dolven, four. Bob Bowman and Lou Lowesfels each scored two points.

Tonight the Crimson will meet Cornell in an Ivy League contest at Ithaca.