Cornell Defeats Five, 60-46 For Third Straight Setback

ITHACA, N.Y., Doc. 12--Harvard's basketball team extended its two-year Ivy League losing streak to 11 games last night, dropping a 60-46 contest to Cornell, The Crimson had lost, 63 to 56 to Syracuse, the night before.

Jack Sheehy, the Big Red's 5-4 captain, who can book and drive from either side of the court, was the outstanding individual performer in the game. Breaking Cornell's one game individual scoring second with 33 points. Sheehy also controlled both backboards.

Harry Sacks, high scorer for the varsity with 16 points on ten fouls and three field goals, guarded Sheehy, as did forward Dick Manning. Sheehy, never known for his foul shooting ability, sank 13 out of 14 shots from the line, as well as ten field goals.

Big Red Takes Early Lead

The Big Red jumped well ahead in the opening minutes of play, 12-3 as Sheehy scored the Ithacans' first ten points. At this ten minutes mark, Cornell led, 18-12. At this point, the Crimson made one of its two futile efforts to catch Cornell. Led by Sacks and Rollins Perry, the Big Red went ahead at the half, 30-23.

Right after the second half began, Sacks scored eight straight points to close the gap to 30-28, but then Sheehy tallied nine in a row to put the game beyond the Crimson's reach.

Chuck Rolles, who stands only 5-8, hitting from both corners with his jump shot, was second high for the Ithacans with 16 points.

.237 Shooting Average

The Crimson's shooting average was again very low, hitting on only 13 out of 55 shots for a .287 mark. Cornell sank 22 of its 69 attempts for a .819 percent.

On Friday night, the sophomores on the team, Ike Canty, Neil Muncaster, Phil Haughey, Lou Lowenfels, and senior Perry, put on a late second half drive to cut a Syracuse 20-point lead down to five but the Orange successfully froze the ball in the last three minutes. Sacks with 25 points was the team's high scorer. Canty had 13.

The Crimson summary from the Cornell game: HARVARD   G  F  P Delven, f  1  1  3 Manning, f  1  1  3 Muncaster  0  2  2 Lowenfols  0  0  0 Sacks, c  3  10  13 Haughey  2  1  5 Bowman  1  2  4 Bulger, g  2  0  4 Perry, g  2  3  7 Canty  1  0  2 Flaxman  0  0  0 Total  13  20  46