University May Maintain So. African Observatory

Cooperative Venture Planned to Prevent Station Liquidation

By Jack Rosenthal

The University will probably retain its Boyden Observatory in Bloemfontein, South Africa, but only in partnership with other leading world observatories, it was learned yesterday.

The move toward cooperative maintenance became necessary after a Corporation decision in 1953 ordering liquidation of the station because of expense. At the same time, the Corporation voted $300,000 for large-scale rehabilitation of of astronomical facilities and equipment at the University's Cambridge and Oak Ridge (Agassiz) Observatories.

Both decisions were based on the report of a special investigating committee appointed by President-emeritus Conant.

Menzel Meets With Representatives

Donald H. Menzel, director of the College observatory, admitted last night that he has met with representatives of European observatories in an effort to set up a partnership to operate the African station. "A solution for the disposition of the Boyden station has not been fully realized," he said, but added that "a satisfactory solution may be worked out."

Revision of Cambridge facilities has included construction of a $100,000 building, and new optical and electronics laboratories. Menzel added that a 111-year-old refractor, once the largest in the world, has now been completely restored. The 15-inch instrument is the largest at the Cambridge laboratory.

Half of the funds allotted by the Corporation were spent on the Agassiz observatory, which uses a 61-inch telescope, the University's largest.

Oppenheimer Heads Committee

J. Robert Oppenheimer '26 led the committee making the changes. The astronomers agreed that the Bloemfontein observatory had over-extended its facilities and expenditures and that all necessary improvements would be too costly.

The Corporation then ordered the University to liquidate its South African holdings unless a cooperative agreement could be made with other institutions. Since then, Boyden has been supported by a holding fund sufficient to handle its existing financial obligations.

Menzel, also a professor of Astrophysics and Associate Director for Solar Research, succeeded Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy, as head of the Observatory in 1952; he is the author of "Flying Sancers."