Whiting Will Become Education Professor Effective Next Year

John W. M. Whiting was appointed as a professor of Education, it was announced yesterday. Whiting, an authority on child training and educational problems, will assume his position Feb. 1, 1955.

At present director of the Education School's Laboratory of Human Development, he will continue to study parent-child relations, personality development, and learning problems in his now capacity.

According to Dean Francis Keppel '38, Whiting is one of a group of leading social scientists at the Graduate School of Education which is investigating America's educational problems. Though primarily an anthropologist, he has an extensive knowledge of psychiatry and psychology as they apply to education.

A Yale graduate, Whiting has conducted field study in New Guinea and in the southwestern states, where he worked on the College's cross-cultural survey of child-raising in Indian, American, and Spanish-American communities. He is currently heading a study in child-development in five different cultural societies at Cornell, Harvard, and Yale.

A member of the Education faculty since 1949, Whiting was appointed associate professor in 1953. He is the author of "Becoming a Kwoma," and "Child Training and Personality Development."